Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 16-ounce frozen pound cake
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 8-ounce container mascarpone cheese or sour cream (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped
- 1 12-ounce bag semisweet mint chocolate chips, chopped, or one 12-ounce bag semisweet chips plus 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 candy cane or 5 peppermint hard candies, chopped
- Defrost the pound cake according to the label directions. Slice it horizontally into 3 layers.
- In a large bowl, combine the whipping cream and sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the mascarpone, almonds, and 1/3 of the mint chocolate chips.
- Place half the remaining mint chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave 1 minute or just until shiny. Stir until smooth. Gently fold the melted chocolate (plus half the peppermint extract if using plain chocolate chips) into the whipped cream.
- Spread the bottom layer of the cake with half the chocolate cream filling and top with the middle cake layer. Spread with the remaining chocolate filling. Set the top layer in place. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to set. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead to this point.)
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave about 1 minute or just until shiny. Stir in the corn syrup, butter, and the remaining peppermint extract (if using plain chocolate chips) until smooth. Pour this glaze over the cake. Top with the crushed candy. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Per Serving
- Calories 674
- Calcium 95mg
- Carbohydrate 65g
- Cholesterol 148mg
- Fat 46g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 9mg
- Sat Fat 25g
- Sodium 234mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Gourmet chocolate contains high-quality cacao beans and a high percentage of cocoa butter. Inferior chocolate often has sugar added to mask the flavor.