16-ounce frozen pound cake
heavy or whipping cream
8-ounce container mascarpone cheese or sour cream (1/2 cup)
toasted slivered almonds, chopped
semisweet mint chocolate chips, chopped, or one 12-ounce bag semisweet chips plus 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
candy cane or 5 peppermint hard candies, chopped
- Defrost the pound cake according to the label directions. Slice it horizontally into 3 layers.
- In a large bowl, combine the whipping cream and sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the mascarpone, almonds, and 1/3 of the mint chocolate chips.
- Place half the remaining mint chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave 1 minute or just until shiny. Stir until smooth. Gently fold the melted chocolate (plus half the peppermint extract if using plain chocolate chips) into the whipped cream.
- Spread the bottom layer of the cake with half the chocolate cream filling and top with the middle cake layer. Spread with the remaining chocolate filling. Set the top layer in place. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to set. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead to this point.)
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave about 1 minute or just until shiny. Stir in the corn syrup, butter, and the remaining peppermint extract (if using plain chocolate chips) until smooth. Pour this glaze over the cake. Top with the crushed candy. Refrigerate until ready to serve.