- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 1/2cup pecan halves
- 1cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for flouring fingers
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan and line with a circle of parchment.
- Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then chop.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix). Gently fold in the pecans.
- With floured fingers, press the dough into the prepared pan and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake until golden and firm, 30 to 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, turn the shortbread out of the pan and, using a serrated knife, cut into 12 wedges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.