Makes 36 cookies
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes; let cool. In a food processor, process the pecans until finely ground.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ground pecans, flour, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and ⅓ cup of the sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix).
- Shape the dough into balls (about 1 tablespoon each) and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until just beginning to brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the remaining ⅓ cup of sugar on a plate. A few at a time, roll the cookies in the sugar to coat.