- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 5 slices soft whole-wheat bread, each cut in half
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Cheddar
- Heat oven to 375º F.
- Butter a 9-inch square pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, butter, and salt until small bubbles form. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, then add the warm milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly.
- Layer the square pan with the bread. Top with the pears. Pour the milk-egg mixture into the baking pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake until golden, about 35 minutes. Top with the Cheddar, if desired, and bake until the cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.