- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F. Rub an 8-inch square cake pan with the butter. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with the brown sugar and top with the peaches.
- Combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter over the fruit and tap the bottom of the pan on the table to remove any air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the outside of the cake to loosen; turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.