- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond or vanilla extract
- 2 large peaches, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 450° F. Place a baking sheet in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt on medium until foamy. Increase speed to high. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff and glossy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the almond extract.
- Cut a thin slice from the round side of each peach half (to stabilize it) and place on the chilled baking sheet. Spoon the ice cream into the cavity of each peach half and mound the meringue on top, enclosing the ice cream.
- Bake until the meringue is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.