- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- In the bowl of a food processor or a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and shortening and pulse, or use your fingertips to mix until the dough is crumbly and pea-sized clumps form. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to an 8- or 9-inch pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.