Pasta With Tomato-Mushroom Sauce
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 pound penne
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups torn escarole (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley and oregano)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- Cook the penne according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and cook, covered, until the onions are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, covered, for 6 minutes more.
- Add the wine and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the escarole (if desired), chopped herbs, and remaining salt and pepper, and cook for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat through. Stir in basil.
- Transfer the pasta to plates, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Per Serving
- Calories 686.06Calories From Fat 22%
- Calcium 320.39mg
- Carbohydrate 108.75g
- Cholesterol 15.01mg
- Fat 17.18g
- Fiber 9.71g
- Iron 7.92mg
- Protein 27.76mg
- Sat Fat 4.97g
- Sodium 814.85mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
If you prefer a richer, buttery flavor, use Parmesan. For a sharper bite, opt for Pecorino Romano.