extra-virgin olive oil
medium onions, diced
freshly ground black pepper
cloves garlic, minced
button mushrooms, sliced
dry red wine
torn escarole (optional)
chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley and oregano)
can crushed tomatoes
thinly sliced basil leaves
freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- Cook the penne according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and cook, covered, until the onions are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, covered, for 6 minutes more.
- Add the wine and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the escarole (if desired), chopped herbs, and remaining salt and pepper, and cook for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat through. Stir in basil.
- Transfer the pasta to plates, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the cheese.