- 1pound dried pasta
- 1/2cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4teaspoons kosher salt
- 1cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with the back of a wooden spoon, until it's browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 1/2 cup of oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cooked sausage and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta water, red pepper, salt, and parsley and bring to a boil. Toss with the cooked pasta.