- 3/4pound gemelli or another short pasta
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2cup panko bread crumbs
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4pound Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5ounces baby arugula (about 6 cups)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the thyme and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper; transfer to a small bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion and cook, breaking up the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is soft and the sausage is browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage mixture, arugula, and ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to combine (add more cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce). Serve sprinkled with the bread crumbs.