- 1 pound dried pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, including liquid
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until light brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, 1 teaspoon salt, teaspoon pepper, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, crushing the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the basil. Toss with the cooked pasta.