Pasta With Mushrooms and Kasha
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt.
- Add the pasta and kasha and cook until the pasta is al dente and the kasha just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, drain, and return the pasta and kasha to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the drained pasta and kasha. Stir in the parsley, butter, reserved pasta water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Per Serving
- Calories 611
- Fat 21g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Carbohydrate 90g
- Sodium 665mg
- Protein 18g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 10g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Kasha, often thought of as a grain, is really roasted buckwheat groats (hulled kernels of buckwheat, which itself is not a grain but an herb). Its slightly sweet, musky flavor complements rich-flavored foods, such as caramelized onions, nuts, and wild rice.