- 1 pound dry linguine
- 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmesan, plus more for garnishing
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the linguine according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 ½ cups of the cooking water, and return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add the onion, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Working quickly, add the onion, bacon, and reserved pasta water to the pasta pot. Place over low heat and cook, tossing frequently, until heated through.
- Remove pot from heat and quickly add the yolks one at a time, stirring after each addition. Add the Parmesan and ½ teaspoon pepper and stir until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Divide the pasta among bowls. Top with additional Parmesan and the remaining pepper.