Pasta With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (4 ounces)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until it’s no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth and red pepper and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and simmer, covered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and Parmesan and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the sausage mixture and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Per Serving
- Calories 589
- Fat 23g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 58mg
- Sodium 929mg
- Protein 35mg
- Carbohydrate 62g
- Fiber 2g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For a milder alternative to bitter broccoli rabe, opt for broccoli or Swiss chard. For a more peppery bite, try arugula or radicchio.