Pasta and Beans
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 16-ounce bag dried cannellini or navy beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 4 whole fresh sage leaves, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried tubular pasta, such as ditalini or tubetti
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly grated Parmesan
- Combine the beans and 6 cups of water in a Dutch oven over high heat. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 45 minutes.
- Drain the water then add 10 cups more. Place over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, sage (whole and chopped), and rosemary to the beans; stir well. Bring to a boil, add the broth, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 30 to 40 minutes or until the beans are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes. Add the pasta, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Continue cooking until the pasta is al dente, 5 to 7 minutes. Ladle into bowls and spoon some olive oil and Parmesan over the top of each serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 258Calories From Fat 4%
- Calcium 137mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Cholesterol 1mg
- Fat 1g
- Fiber 15g
- Iron 4mg
- Protein 14mg
- Sat Fat 0g
- Sodium 1268mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .