pappardelle or fettuccine
peeled and deveined medium shrimp (raw)
kosher salt and black pepper
small shallots, sliced
1/2 to 1
crushed red pepper
large bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
unsalted butter, cut into pieces
finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¾ cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Cook until browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shallots and red pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until the shallots are crisp-tender, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pasta, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and ½ cup of the reserved cooking water to the shrimp and asparagus and toss to coat. (Add more cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce.)
- Serve warm.