- 1 1/2 pounds salmon steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Dredge the fish in the flour. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the fish and brown about 3 minutes on each side.
- Carefully lift the fish out of the skillet and set it aside on a platter; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and return the fish to the pan. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until the fish flakes when tested with a fork or the tip of a knife.
- Remove the fish to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Increase heat to high, add the basil, and reduce the sauce, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 3 minutes.