Crispy Pork Cutlets With Fennel-Chickpea Slaw
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 thin pork cutlets (about 1 pound total)
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced, plus 1⁄4 cup leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- Heat oven to 425° F. Place an oven-proof wire rack set in a baking sheet. Pulse the bread until fine crumbs form in a food processor (you should have about 2 ½ cups). Add 1 tablespoon of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and pulse once or twice to moisten.
- Spread the bread crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool and transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Place the flour in a second shallow bowl. Beat the egg whites with 1 tablespoon water in a third shallow bowl.
- Season the pork with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Coat with the flour (tapping off any excess), dip in the egg whites (shaking off any excess), then coat with the bread crumbs (pressing gently to help them adhere). Place on the prepared pan and bake until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss together the chickpeas, fennel, celery stalks and leaves, onion, lemon juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Serve over the pork with the lemon wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 420
- Fat 19g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 850mg
- Protein 35g
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 127mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Save money by buying 2 pork chops and pounding them yourself!. Start by halving the chops lengthwise. Place each cutlet between sheets of wax paper or inside a large plastic freezer bag. Pound with a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet until the cutlet reaches the desired thickness.