- 1pound dry orecchiette or some other short pasta
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4cup heavy cream
- 1cup (4 ounces) grated Pecorino
- 2teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain it and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the leeks to the saucepan, season with the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and peas and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the cream and ¾ cup of the Pecorino. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sauce, lemon zest, and mint to the pasta pot and toss. Divide among shallow bowls and sprinkle with the remaining Pecorino and pepper.