Serves 2| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Heat oven to 375° F. Grease one 16-ounce or two 8-ounce ramekins with 1 tablespoon of butter. Coat with 1 tablespoon sugar, then tap out the excess. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Blend in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Blend in the liqueur and zest. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Set aside. (Recipe can be made to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Beat the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Pour the sauce into the whites; gently fold together. Spoon into ramekins.
- Bake until puffed and browned, 40 minutes for a 16-ounce soufflé, 20 minutes for two smaller ones.
- Serve immediately with Custard Sauce: poke a small hole in the crust of the souffle and pour sauce inside.
- Per Serving
- Calories 378
- Calcium 72mg
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Cholesterol 260mg
- Fat 23g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 8mg
- Sat Fat 13g
- Sodium 155mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .