- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 oranges
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil
- 12 oil-cured dry black olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the rice, salt, and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate 1 tablespoon peel from one of the oranges. Then cut off the remaining peel from both oranges and cut into sections. Cut the onion into thin slivers.
- When rice is tender and the water is absorbed, fold in the 1 tablespoon of peel, the orange sections, onion, mint, olives, and olive oil. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary.