- FOR THE PUDDING:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 orange
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- FOR THE MERINGUE:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Make the pudding. Preheat oven to 425º F.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, then whisk in the orange zest, orange juice, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour into 4 ramekins or custard cups.
- Whip up the meringue. In a bowl, beat the egg whites and sugar until the sugar dissolves and stiff, glossy peaks form. Spread the meringue over the puddings.
- Bake until the meringue is browned, about 10 minutes. Set the puddings in a pan of ice water to cool, then refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.