- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 small carrots, cut in half crosswise
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cut into wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Combine the mustard, soy sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat.
- Combine the carrots, fennel, onion, thyme, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a roasting pan.
- Nestle the chicken among the vegetables. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Divide the chicken and vegetables among individual plates.