Mustardy Kale and Butternut Squash
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the squash and cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to soften, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the kale, broth, mustard, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the pan and cook, tossing occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 198
- Fat 8g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 1mg
- Sodium 521mg
- Protein 8g
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 276mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
When peeling butternut squash, be sure to peel right down to the bright orange interior. If you leave an underlayer of skin, the squash will cook up tough instead of tender.