Mushroom and Rosemary Stuffing
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish and foil
- 1 large loaf Italian bread (about 1 pound), cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces (about 16 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Heat oven to 375° F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the mushrooms, tossing occassionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve the skillet.
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Divide the bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake until dry and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wipe out the skillet and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the sherry and cook until evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the bread, broth, eggs, mushrooms, parsley, rosemary, and ½ teaspoon salt to the vegetables and toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover with buttered foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Per Serving
- Calories 364Calories From Fat 161
- Fat 18g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 80mg
- Sodium 875mg
- Protein 11g
- Carbohydrate 38g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 95mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .