Mushroom and Herb Strata
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 8- to 10-ounce package button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound country bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 pound fontina or Cheddar, grated
- 4 cups mixed greens (about 3 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Heat oven to 350° F. Oil an 8-inch square baking dish. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender and any liquid has cooked off, 4 to 6 minutes more. Remove from heat and mix in the parsley.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the bread, cheese, and mushroom mixture and toss; transfer to the prepared dish. Bake until golden brown and set, 50 to 60 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss the greens with the vinegar, the remaining oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the strata.
- Per Serving
- Calories 734
- Fat 45g
- Sat Fat 18g
- Cholesterol 395mg
- Sodium 1,416mg
- Protein 36g
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Sugar 16g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 570mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .