- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4cup pearl barley
- 1tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, garlic, thyme, and ¾ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and barley. Simmer, partially covered, until the barley is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Top with the chopped flat-leaf parsley before serving.