- 1cup barley
- 1 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 20ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 5cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (about 8 sprigs)
- sliced sourdough or other country bread, toasted (optional)
- In a medium-size pan, bring the barley and 4 cups of water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook until the onions have softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook, covered, for 6 minutes more.
- Add the mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, covered, until they release their juices, about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, bay leaves, and thyme and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked barley; remove and discard the bay leaves. If desired, season with additional salt and pepper and serve with the sourdough toast.