Pasta With Sweet Potatoes and Leeks
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 12 ounces multigrain penne
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into half-moons
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and sage and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring twice, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of the Parmesan and the reserved cooking water and simmer, stirring, until the potatoes are fully tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pasta and nutmeg and toss. Divide among individual bowls and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Per Serving
- Calories 541Calories From Fat 22%
- Fat 13g
- Sat Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 13mg
- Sodium 465mg
- Carbohydrate 107g
- Fiber 12g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 26g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Upgrade: For a heart-healthy boost and a bit of crunch, sprinkle in ½ cup chopped, toasted almonds before serving.