- 12ounces multigrain or whole-wheat elbow macaroni (3 1/2 cups)
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2tablespoons bread crumbs
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups whole milk
- 3 1/2cups grated Cheddar (12 ounces)
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and the parsley (if desired). Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the saucepan and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the Cheddar and ½ teaspoon salt and whisk until the cheese melts. Stir in the macaroni. Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.