Makes 16 brownies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with the nonstick spray. Line the pan with a piece of parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides; spray the parchment with the nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate with the espresso powder, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and mix in the melted chocolate mixture, then the flour and salt just until incorporated. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan. Holding both sides of the paper overhang, lift the cake out of the pan, transfer to a cutting board, and cut into 16 squares. Note: Total Time includes cooling time.
- Per Serving
- Calories 227Calories From Fat 50%
- Protein 3g
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Sugar 21g
- Fiber 1g
- Fat 13g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Sodium 45mg
- Cholesterol 41mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Gourmet chocolate contains high-quality cacao beans and a high percentage of cocoa butter. Inferior chocolate often has sugar added to mask the flavor.