6-inch corn tortillas
16-ounce can refried (or black) beans
10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
2 to 4
eggs (1 to 2 per person)
pinch of salt (or to taste)
optional toppings: chopped scallions, salsa, sour cream, grated Cheddar, guacamole
- Heat oven to 300º F. Stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil, and put them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the beans to a simmer (or cook them in the microwave until hot, about 3 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, bring the enchilada sauce to a simmer. With a spoon, create a well for each egg. Crack an egg and nestle it in the sauce; repeat.
- Cover the pan and cook, 5 minutes for soft yolks, 7 minutes for firmer ones.
- Place 2 tortillas on each plate. Spread them with a generous layer of beans.
- With a spoon, gently place the eggs on top of the beans. Ladle on more enchilada sauce and add the toppings (if desired).