Mexican Chicken Soup
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Place the chickens, carrots, onion, and salt in a 12-quart pot. Add enough cold water (about 16 cups) to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 hour. Skim off any foam that appears.
- Transfer the chickens to plates; let cool. Remove and discard the carrots and onion. Add the rice to the broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Add the meat and pepper to the broth and heat for 3 minutes.
- Scoop the avocados into individual bowls and ladle the soup over the top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and squeeze on the limes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 445Calories From Fat 26%
- Fat 13g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 121mg
- Sodium 1,033mg
- Carbohydrate 39g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 42g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Both short-grain and long-grain brown rice have a much shorter shelf life than white rice. They should be stored in the refrigerator.