- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, rinsed
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the broth, hominy, and 2 cups water and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. In a medium bowl, combine the pork, egg, bread crumbs, chipotles, and ½ teaspoon salt. Form the pork mixture into 20 meatballs (about 1 heaping tablespoon each) and place on a broilerproof baking sheet. Broil until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and lime juice to the soup. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with the lime wedges.