Meat and Potato Pasties (Reader Recipe From Erin Bried)
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 pound ground beef chuck (80 to 85 percent lean)
- 2 medium russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1⁄4-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for rolling
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1⁄2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, combine the beef, potatoes, onions, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Place the flour, butter, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter, working until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size lumps remaining. Add 2⁄3 cup ice water; mix with a fork and work with your hands until a dough comes together. If the dough is still crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (up to 4 more tablespoons). Do not overwork. Shape the dough into 4 small disks and let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each disk into a 10-inch circle.
- Divide the beef mixture among the circles of dough, shaping the meat into a small loaf. Gather and pull up the sides of the dough around the filling, pressing the edges together to form a seam on top. Using your fingers, crimp the seam. Transfer the pasties to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 1¼ to 1½ hours.
- Per Serving
- Calories 1,278
- Fat 71g
- Sat Fat 41g
- Cholesterol 271mg
- Sodium 822mg
- Protein 39g
- Carbohydrate 121g
- Sugar 4g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 9mg
- Calcium 87mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .