- 5pounds medium Red Bliss potatoes
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and add 2 1/2 tablespoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- Add the butter, buttermilk, cream, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Mash the potatoes with a handheld masher. Fold in the chives. Transfer to a serving dish.