Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Shallots
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 5 pounds white or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 medium shallots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and add 2 1/2 tablespoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice 5 medium shallots. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the butter, buttermilk, cream, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper to the cooked potatoes. Mash the potatoes
with a handheld masher. Fold in the shallots. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Per Serving
- Calories 358Calories From Fat 40%
- Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 41mg
- Sodium 164mg
- Carbohydrate 48g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 6g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The potatoes can be made up to 2 hours in advance and kept warm in a double boiler or Crock-Pot. If the potatoes are chilled and then reheated, they will turn dry and pasty.