Pasta With Marinara, Sausage, and Ricotta
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 16 ounces orecchiette or other small pasta
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer (crushing the whole tomatoes, if using, with the back of a wooden spoon) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage until no trace of pink remains. Add to the sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and divide among plates. Top each with sauce and ricotta.
- Per Serving
- Calories 728Calories From Fat 21%
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 1,373mg
- Carbohydrate 99g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 46g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .