cloves garlic, thinly sliced
28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes
crushed red pepper
sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
orecchiette or other small pasta
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer (crushing the whole tomatoes, if using, with the back of a wooden spoon) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage until no trace of pink remains. Add to the sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and divide among plates. Top each with sauce and ricotta.