cloves garlic, thinly sliced
28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes
crushed red pepper
kalamata olives, pitted and halved
torn fresh basil leaves
(3 ounces) crumbled Feta
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer (crushing the whole tomatoes, if using, with the back of a wooden spoon) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain and divide among plates.
- Add the olives, basil, and Feta to the sauce and toss. Spoon over the penne.