- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt
- 16ounces linguine
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, red pepper, oregano, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer (crushing the whole tomatoes, if using, with the back of a wooden spoon) until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine according to the package directions. Drain and divide among plates. Spoon the sauce over the top.