Makes 24 bars| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- For the crust:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the baking pan
- 1 1/2 cups cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for flouring fingers
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the filling:
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line with 2 crisscrossed pieces of parchment, buttering in between and leaving an overhang on all sides; butter the parchment.
- Make the crust: In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, sugar, and salt; process until fine crumbs form. With floured fingers, press the dough into the prepared pan and bake until just beginning to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes; coarsely chop. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugars, butter, maple syrup, corn syrup, and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the walnuts and vanilla.
- Spread the filling over the crust and let the bars cool in the pan for about 1 hour.
- Holding the paper overhang, lift the bars out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 24 rectangles (6 rows by 4 rows).
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 bar
- Calories 200
- Fat 13g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 18mg
- Sodium 25mg
- Protein 3g
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Sugar 12g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 16mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .