- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 2 tablespoons dark maple syrup
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- Heat oven to 425° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- On a parchment-lined work surface, roll the pastry into an 10-by-14-inch rectangle. Brush the pastry with 1 tablespoon maple syrup and sprinkle with ⅛ cup of maple sugar, lightly pressing the sugar into the dough. Gently flip the dough over and brush the surface with the remaining maple syrup and ⅛ cup maple sugar, again lightly pressing it into the dough.
- Using a pizza cutter or pastry wheel, slice the dough into long 1-inch strips, then slice each strip in half. (They should measure about 1-by-7-inches.) Working quickly but one at a time, pick up the strips from both ends and twist them into gentle spirals.
- Arrange the twists on the prepared baking sheets, pressing the ends against the parchment and leaving at least 1½-inches of space between them. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until deep golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining maple sugar and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.