- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl. Using your fingertips, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk, maple syrup, and coarsely chopped walnuts and mix with a spoon until the dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a 1-inch-thick circle. Use a knife to cut the dough into 8 wedges and bake on a greased baking sheet at 375º F for 15 minutes.
- Brush the tops with maple syrup and continue to bake until golden, 5 to 10 minutes more.