Macaroni and Cheese With Cauliflower
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 12 ounces multigrain elbow macaroni
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 4 slices multigrain bread, torn
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup 1 percent milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper; pulse to combine.
- Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix in the pasta and cauliflower and the cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard.
- Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 537Calories From Fat 39%
- Protein 24g
- Carbohydrate 63g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 8g
- Fat 23g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Sodium 692mg
- Cholesterol 51mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .