medium onion, finely chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
dry white wine
low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for serving
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until absorbed.
- Add half the broth (1 ¾ cups) and simmer, stirring once, until absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth and simmer, stirring once, until the rice is tender and creamy, 8 to 10 minutes. (If the rice is not cooked through and the mixture is dry, add more broth and continue to cook until tender.)
- Stir in the Parmesan and the remaining tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle with the parsley and additional Parmesan, if desired.