Makes 16 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- food coloring
- mini jelly beans, colored sprinkles, or metallic dragees, for decorating
- special equipment: 14 6- to 8-inch lollipop or ice-pop sticks (found in large craft stores)
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture just until combined (do not overmix).
- Drop mounds of the dough (about 2 tablespoons each) onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 4 inches apart. Insert one end of a lollipop stick into each and flatten the dough slightly with your fingers. Bake the cookies, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix together the confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and 1 to 2 drops food coloring. Drizzle the cookies with the icing and sprinkle with the candies and sprinkles. Let dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Storage suggestion: Keep at room temperature, between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container, for up to 1 week. (Alternatively, wrap in a nonsealing plastic sandwich bag or cellophane bag and close with a twist tie or a ribbon.)
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 191
- Fat 6g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 28mg
- Sodium 61mg
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Sugar 25g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 10mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Use 2 wooden skewers per cookie if you don’t have (or can’t find) lollipop sticks.