Liverwurst Tea Sandwiches
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 8 pieces thinly sliced white sandwich bread
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound liverwurst sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cucumber (peeled, if waxed), sliced as thinly as possible
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Arrange the bread slices on a clean work surface. Spread each slice with some of the mayonnaise, then spread 4 of the slices with the mustard.
- Arrange the liverwurst on the mustard-coated bread slices. Drape the cucumber over the liverwurst. Sprinkle with the caraway seeds, then top with the remaining slices of bread, mayonnaise-side down.
- Using a serrated knife, trim the crusts. Slice each sandwich in half before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 369.94Calories From Fat 62%
- Calcium 91.8mg
- Carbohydrate 23.45g
- Cholesterol 95.01mg
- Fat 25.33g
- Fiber 1.42g
- Iron 5.44mg
- Protein 11.8mg
- Sat Fat 7.12g
- Sodium 939.54mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The secret to a perfect tea sandwich isn't fancy ingredients; it's adherence to a basic framework. Start with thinly sliced bread, use just enough mayonnaise (a light coating on each slice of bread) to prevent sogginess, and exercise restraint when adding the filling (it's a tea sandwich, not a sub).